Rwanda Reopens for Tourism
Travel to Rwanda to experience the best Mother Nature has to offer.
- Rwanda’s doors are now open and we look forward to welcoming you to be at one with nature, while staying safe and healthy. All tourism activities, including primate trekking within Rwanda’s national parks, have now resumed in line with enhanced COVID-19 prevention measures. The well-being of travellers is Rwanda’s top priority and the country has put in place robust health and safety guidelines to ensure this.
- All travellers arriving in Rwanda must present a negative COVID-19 certificate. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours of departure (meaning travellers must be tested and get results within 3 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Test (RDTs), are not accepted. A second PCR test will be conducted upon arrival, with results delivered after 24 hours during which time they will remain in designated hotels at their own cost. COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years.
- Currently, international visitors arriving by flight can visit Rwanda. There are no restrictions based on nationality or point of departure. These visitors can enter Rwanda on the condition of fulfilling the health and safety requirements outlined in these FAQs and this information note.Visitors must complete the Passenger Locator Form before arrival.
- Together with the private sector, Visit Rwanda is offering attractive packages for visitors, Rwandans and foreign residents. Visa on arrival remains available for all visitors to the country.
- Cancellation policies have been updated to accommodate travellers impacted during this time and can be accessed here.
- All guests staying at various hotels countrywide are required to present a negative SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) or Rapid Antigen Test. For international tourists who will have taken a second test upon arrival in the country, the negative test results will be valid for 120 hours. They will be required to take a rapid test after this period elapses.
- The only accepted test for tourists visiting Volcanoes, Nyungwe and Gishwati-Mukura national parks is the SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) taken within 72 hours. A negative Rapid Antigen Test taken within 72 hours will be accepted for Akagera National Park.
- All other tourism destinations including hotel stays will accept either a Rapid Antigen Test or SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) taken within 120 hours.
- Travellers, including drivers, are required to fill and submit movement requests here together with copies of negative COVID-19 test results to email@example.com at least 24 hours prior to the trip.
- The cost of the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test is Rwf 47,200 (USD 50) for travellers departing Rwanda and Rwf 57,200 (USD 60) for arriving visitors. The cost of a Rapid Antigen test is Rwf 10,000 and results are typically available within 15 minutes of the test being taken. A list of accredited private clinics that provide COVID-19 Rapid Antigen tests can be accessed at www.rbc.gov.rw.
- Hotel guests under the age of 12, accompanied by parents with a negative test certificate, are not required to undergo COVID-19 testing.
- Frequently asked questions with more details on visiting Rwanda can be accessed here.
- For more information about Rwanda’s response and daily updates on COVID-19, please visit the Rwanda Biomedical Centre’s website here.
- Tourists to Rwanda’s national parks are now required to complete a guest registration and indemnity form in advance of their visit and submit the form electronically to the park. Please find the forms to print and sign below:
Volcanoes National Park (submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nyungwe National Park (submit to: email@example.com)
- Gorilla permits are now available at USD 200 for Rwandans & EAC nationals, USD 500 for African Union citizens and foreign residents in Rwanda and USD 1,500 for international tourists.
- Special packages are available for groups, families and corporates on other products in Volcanoes and Nyungwe national parks. Learn more here.
- These special offers are valid until 31 May 2021.
- View a range of special offers from Rwandan tour and travel operators here.
Visit Rwanda Soon
For those who have postponed their trip or are planning to visit Rwanda in the near future, we can’t wait to see you soon.